Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Getting Caught Up....

I've finally found a spot in Florence where I can make a tentitave attempt to get caught up with news of my latest adventure...

Armenia was quite an experience - culturally, geographically and, of course, politically.

My accomidations were much better than I'd expected, so I'll attach a single photo for now to demonstrate the palacial setting in which we were housed...



The politics were, of course, equally inpressive.

Here's a shot of the local Republican party logo, which is something their counterpart in America might want to consider...



Of course, it wasn't all politics. While doing recon of the polling places we'd be observing on election day, my teammate Robin Soderberg and I got to explore some of the few local sights that remain after the massive 1988 earthquake that killed more than 25,000 people in this area.

One of the more interesting spots we explored was an ancient monistary, built when Armenia was the first nation to officially adopt Christianity back in the 3-4th Century.




I'll save the election-day photos for another entry, since they require some explaination and I'm sure most of my readers are far more interested in the fun things like sight-seeing, food and drink, bicycling, and - of course - the art of Florence...

For now, I'll leave you all with an image from my "Room with a View."



Ciao Bella!

SPB

No comments: