Sunday, July 24, 2005

The City of Lights


A rainy morning of people-watching from a streetside cafe in Paris - followed by a sunny afternoon of bike racing on the "Champs."

Well - not really "racing" per se...

I'm not sure how it looked to my OTB Teamies back in "the Harbor," but from the turn-around at the Arc de Triumph it looked like a retirement gift for Lance Armstrong. The peloton soft peddled every lap - at a pace that seemed more forgiving than our Sunday morning ride back to Suzzanes for coffee and muffins and brownies and coffee and cookies...

Bob Cartwright and I could have taken those guys today - at least at the end of the circuit from which I was watching, even after we'd had coffee and muffins and brownies and coffee and cookies...

Speaking of which, did anyone see me on OLN? I was the American without a U.S. or Texas state flag blocking everyone elses photo-ops...

Anyway, it was good to see the real thing up close and personal - I didn't start the day at the front of the crowd - but the slow pace actually discouraged the "how-can-he-be-winning-if-he's-so-far-back-in-the-field" tourists from staying until the very end...

Tonight it's a night train from Paris to Munich, then on to Vienna for a few days before resuming 'a life more ordinary...'

Bis Morgan...

SPB

No comments: